Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sat, July 16: Land of "All Creatures Great and Small"!

Another of my favorite English authors, all of whose books I've read, and the TV show that I love watching, is James Herriot! My family is not as devoted as I, but they were willing to make the trek to James Herriot Country, in the eastern edge of the Yorkshire Dales. Saturday we woke to rain, but we set out in the car for the hour or so drive to Thirsk, where his museum is located. James Herriot is actually the pen name for the real veterinarian who wrote the books, Alf Wight, and Thirsk is the town where the actual practice was located. He died in 1997 and his partner not long after, and the building has been turned into a very well done museum, which we toured. He was a very humble man and never sought fame or fortune, but captured outstandingly with pen and paper the way of life here in the Dales that has all but disappeared. I totally enjoyed immersing myself in this atmosphere for the day, so read on to see more.

(As I write, David and Abby are watching the Women's World Cup final shoot out on TV and are crushed to watch Japan win it!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment