Friday, July 15, 2011

Thur, Jul 14: Beatrix Potter Gallery

Another two miles up the road is Hawkshead, the village where her husband had his solicitor's office, which is now the Beatrix Potter Gallery, displaying some of her original artwork. No photos allowed, but plenty of low ceilings again and creaky wooden floors!

Just outside I noticed a man standing at the back of his van and he was selling some fresh lamb chops to a woman, cutting them off right then and there! He let me take his photo! I've never seen this in America!

We traveled a little farther and spent the afternoon at Tarn Hows (a tarn is a small lake), on property Beatrix had bought and donated to the National Trust (she donated 4000+ acres in all when she died). David painted, Abby read and wrote, and I walked the 1 1/2 mile trail around the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment